Struggling with scrolling layout

Hi
I’m trying to achieve my first interactive wireframe using Penpot.
The basic stuff is done.

But now I’m trying to make a fixed header (done), a Call to action button fixed at the bottom right (done) and a scrollable list in the center (can’t make it work).

I don’t see any tool or command to make this element scrollable.
The fact that list is higher that the board doesn’t seem to work either.

Can you help?
Thanks

8 Likes

Hi @Valdemar_Pereira_de thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

Scroll should happen automatically. I’ve tested and confirmed that it is a bug. You can track it here.

We will fix it as soon as we can. Thank you for notice.

5 Likes

@juan.delacruz
Thanks for the reply.
And also for the tracking link.

Looking forward to check it when it’s solved.
:raised_hands:

2 Likes

I have encountered the same problem. Unfortunately, I saw that the ticket was postponed. For me this is an important feature in prototype development and would be happy if the bug would be fixed soon.

2 Likes

Any idea when this issue might get addressed? It looks like its been postponed for a while now

1 Like

Hi guys, any progress on this? It’s quite a critical bug if we consider building of complex interactions… It affects me on 70% of my projects right now.

1 Like

It looks like the issue was closed and posponed. :man_shrugging::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Well, this makes Penpot a bit unreliable for nested scrolling interactions, then.

They gotta fix this asap. It’s basic, but so useful that is a shame that is buggy right now.

2 Likes

Hi. just moved here from Figma.
Great to have FREE alternative!!!
but without scrolling… can not make 90% of any app mockups.
i would like also to have some video display from youtube, but that can wait :slight_smile:
SCROLL AREA is a must… vertical, horizontal , both. like figma. in inner frames.
When you think we will have something like that?

2 Likes

I’m asking my team to start using PenPot seriously for UI design. Looks like we will very likely run into this as a limitation.

2 Likes

without scrolled areas , no lists, no sliding elements … nothing…
you can not really mimic any new app UI.
it’s huge limitation. it’s the only thing that prevent me from moving away from the expensive figma.

3 Likes

What is going with scrolling? A bunch of forum threads that lead nowhere, lacking documentation, an indefinitely postponed issue… How is anybody using this software without being able to make scrollable prototypes?

I have a board set to “Clip Contents”, I put a textbox inside that’s multiple screenheights high… I switch to View Mode and nothing’s moving when I try to scroll. What am I missing?

3 Likes

This is a two-part problem… The first one is in the view mode, the other one is in scrolling frames. My idea to solve this is as described below:

Starting by the view mode… As of right now, Penpot’s view mode is just not reliable for deep testing, as it doesn’t have any resolution settings, just a poor zoom configuration. This must be tackled first to allow basic scrolling of the whole page, I think.

Then we have the frame scrolling behavior, that is another issue. It used to work, now doesn’t and has never been fixed. If this was fixed things would be better for sure, but as said before, we need to have viewport resolution settings, so basic scrolling behaviors would be possible, then we can go to the internal scroll behaviors within that.

1 Like

Came to the forums to find out why I couldn’t figure out how to make scrolling happen. Thought I was going crazy because it’s the most simple prototyping interaction and I couldn’t find it. Turns out it’s not me!

I want to do all my future projects in Penpot instead of Figma, but until there’s scrolling I just can’t. It’s such a basic UI function that it’s a must-have in prototypes.

Penpot team, are you able to shed any light on when this will be fixed? @diacritica or @juan.delacruz ?

edit: sharing the user story here for reference: Taiga

2 Likes

Hi,

Like everyone i’m struggling with this missing important feature. I really don’t understand why this is not an MVP feature and i was hopping on the next release 2.0.
But i’m still confused. On the testing link provided (Penpot - Design Freedom for Teams) this feature is still missing.

I really don’t want to use figma, but what others solutions we have for production prototyping ? XD is dying, and all others solutions are not as good as XD or Figma.
Penpot is the bright light of hope, but is missing some really important features. And yes more than the grid feature (who will be amazing, but not as the scroll feature)

Sorry if i’m a bit angry, but converting all my assets from xd to penpot whas not really enjoyable, and now i must chose between waiting an MVP feature who is locked in the limbo of dev (oct 2022), or convert again my assets to figma.

Really, really hope the feature will come soon.

2 Likes

This is a feature that is already “Ready to develop” https://tree.taiga.io/project/penpot/us/4519 so it’s a matter of prioritizing and from what the team has shared in the past, post 2.0 this is one that would come first, so hopefully the wait will be over soon!

5 Likes

Awesome! This and the viewport settings are the features I miss the most right now. Nice to see there’s progress on it.

1 Like

I feel this exactly in the same way !

I hope it’ll be released soon.

IMO, with this, penpot will be definitely the best design application without any doubt.

1 Like

Thanks for penpot, that’s great, especially for linux users. :wink: