How to make Grid rows stay at the same height in a Board?

Hi there.

I’m new to Penpot and so I have started playing around with the interface. I have noted that when you try to add more rows to a grid in a board, the rows try to fit in the space, rather than hid themselves if they are in excess. Here is what I did:

1. Added an iPhone 12 pro max Board.
  2. Added 100 rows of 8px in height, type: top, gutter and margin both 0.

All 100 rows fit, and there is some space left at the bottom, great!

But if you change the quantity of rows to say, 500, I was expecting the rows to remain the same height and have the extra rows (that would otherwise overflow) stay hidden. This is the behavior I get in Figma at least. Not sure if I need to turn on some checkbox or something.

Thank you for your help

Hi @Ivan_Cabarcas, we are aware that this behavior should be improved and we will eventually change it to the way you described. I’ve added your request to the issue at Taiga.

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with Penpot’s grid feature. In Penpot, when you add rows to a grid in a board, the rows try to fit in the available space rather than being hidden if there are too many rows. This behavior is different from what you have observed in Figma, where the extra rows would remain hidden.

Currently, there is no specific checkbox or setting in Penpot to automatically hide overflowing rows in a grid. The behavior you described is the default behavior in Penpot, where the rows will expand to accommodate the added content, even if it exceeds the visible space.

If you would like to suggest this as a feature to the Penpot development team, you can provide feedback or feature requests directly to the Penpot community or the project’s GitHub repository. They would be the best source of information regarding any upcoming changes or options related to the grid behavior in Penpot.

In the meantime, if you want to hide the overflowing rows, you may need to manually adjust the height of the grid or remove the excess rows to fit within the visible space.