Cannot edit text in self-hosted environment

Hello,
I am self-hosting Penpot in a closed network using Docker and have followed the instructions on the Penpot website for self hosting.

Penpot launches successfully, however, I cannot change fonts or edit/change any text (I am using Chrome v111.0.5563.111). If I create a text box then enter some text, it is either blank, or will appear intermittently. I am really hoping this is some simple configuration issue that I am missing.

The Docker container I am using is Red Hat 8 and I have installed several fonts. The network environment I am in is closed and I am not reaching out to the Internet, so I’m wondering if this could be part of the problem? If so, is there a workaround? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a great tool, but I am currently banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to overcome this issue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Hey @mandyrahn

Sounds like some kind of configuration error. You can check the javascript console in the browser to see is something is failing with your frontend. You can also check the docker logs to see if there are any errors

Hi Alex, I think the problem was actually occurring because Penpot could not reach the Google fonts since I am on a closed network.

What I ended up doing is just uploading some of the fonts as custom fonts and using those. The problem is that it’s difficult to know which font is trying to reach out to Google and which one is the custom installed font. Do you know if there is any way to deactivate the Google fonts that automatically load into Penpot since I can’t access them anyway? Or is there some way to see which fonts are “local” and which ones are Google?
Thank you, Amanda

Replying after a year in case someone else is looking for an answer - you can use the flag

disable-google-fonts-provider

in docker compose configuration, to show only user uploaded fonts in the fonts dropdown