Themes & Dark Mode

I know everyone is asking for Darkmode, but what if we took it farther and considered Themes. For some reason, all development tools provide this feature of their users, but not for designers? What’s the deal? What would Penpot look like if we could provide our own Themes for the interface.

4 Likes

I love themes, when they are there but they can also be the source of a lot of trouble—challenging to support when doing changes to the UI since the bindings of the themes need to be kept consistent.

2 Likes

Hello¡¡
We are working on UI changes, colors, fonts, etc. And we have talked about creating themes. This is something you will see sooner or later.
I wish we could create a template or something to provide users a way to add their own themes, we will see.
I will keep an eye on this thread to see what you like most :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does the dark mode is available right now ?
It’s not very important, but I’ve just switched from figma (because there is no font implementation on linux) and I’m asking myself if I’ve missed the option in the UI.

Right now there is no theme options on penpot, but we will announce something soon about this :slight_smile:

1 Like

SOON!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

5 Likes

Hello Carolina,

Do you have any news about the dark mode ?

Hello @RogerBytes expect to release the Penpot 2.0 in the next weeks!

1 Like

Great New ! :slight_smile:
I like penpot, look great. :slight_smile:

Changing the accent color for both light and dark modes would be great. Tbh, I’m not a big fan of the current one.

Eyy, accent color is going to be change a little bit for light and dark themes, but
Do you have any suggestions?
Let us know.

1 Like

One potential solution (awesome for us - users), but probably not the easiest for you to develop, is to allow users to select their preferred accent color, similar to how it’s done in the Vivaldi browser.

1 Like

Yes¡ Something like this is in our roadmap (custom themes), but we are not there yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having a customisable design theme is awesome. But, based on my experience, it is always better to start with small steps, like providing a customisable accent color.

By the way, it’s the same approach you could have for typography. You can also start with the customisable UI font size only. Or is it already there, and I just haven’t found it?

All this will give your users a much better accessibility experience. For example, working with the PenPot UI is difficult for me due to low text contrast and small font size. And because I am constantly logged out, which is incredibly annoying :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree with you. I hope our next step in this area goes in that direction.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m very glad to know this :star_struck:

Hahahahahahaha I can’t promise when we will have that kind of customization, but we will do our best.

2 Likes