Software forge federation research its UX with Penpot

I am following the works of @dachary and others in the steadily growing forge federation movement very closely. I would like to mention something I’ve discussed many times with Loïc before, and that is what these first steps into forge federation will enable. The vision and potential here is profound, and there are tremendous opportunities.

What federation between Code Forges enables are not just the forges themselves being able to integrate together. A code forge is an application or platform that offers a suite of development tools online. But in fact the entire domain of software development, with all its activities and processes from a project’s inception till its end-of-life should be considered to see where federation can add support to that.

Software development, including the process tracks where UX/UI evolve over time, is an inherently social activity. Witness Penpot, for example :slight_smile:

On the forgefriends forum I wrote about how Github and Gitlab are positioned, which also covers the full lifecycle of software development. By doing so, especially Github has become a fat and dominant ‘spider in a big web’ here, and countless vendors see aligning to their product suite as a must-have.

Federation then has the potential to crack this whole ecosystem wide open, help provide a more level playing field, and democratize the technology base by using open standards such as ActivityPub. I am involved with setting up the Social Coding Movement where we’ll focus on social interaction across the entire Free Software Development Lifecycle (FSDL), and with an eye on leveraging the Fediverse where possible.

5 Likes