Open Overlay interactions only work on the board

First off let me say thank you to the Penpot project. I’ve been using Adobe XD and have needed a replacement. Not wanting to trade one overlord for another (Adobe → Figma),I decided to try Penpot. I am so glad Penpot exists, and I’m looking forward to my journey with it.

With that said, I’ve been following this official tutorial video and it doesn’t seem to work for me. I am using the hosted penpot.app site for now just to avoid another layer of complexity with self hosting.

I can get the overlay to open if I place the interaction onto the board itself, but not on any of the contained elements. I’ve tried it on groups and on both local and imported components. None of it works. I also noticed that in the video that their UI does not give the option to attach a flow to a subelement like a group.

I’m also experiencing an issue where my imported components seem to be added to the preview alongside the boards. I’m assuming this is not the planned behavior.

(Only the “Demo Page” and “Form” items are boards)

I’m posting this in here as I think this might still be user error on my part. If this is indeed a bug I will happily file a bug report. Please advise.

Thanks

Hey @dszidi! Just so I understand the issue exactly… when you say you can’t get the overlay to open… does the trigger/hotspot area to which you attached the interaction have the outline in View mode when you’ve chosen Show interactions (like below)?

Is the problem that the trigger/hotspot area isn’t accessible, or that clicking that area doesn’t show the overlay?

I’m sure we can get to the bottom of this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi!

does the trigger/hotspot area to which you attached the interaction have the outline in View mode when you’ve chosen Show interactions (like below)?

Yes. The button is highlighted

Is the problem that the trigger/hotspot area isn’t accessible, or that clicking that area doesn’t show the overlay?

The problem is that clicking the area doesn’t show the overlay.

Here is a screenshot with the settings. I moved them to the group containing the button.

The relevant elements are…

• “Demo Page” is the board with the button
  • “Actions” is the name of the group containing the edit button
  • “Form” is the second board containing the panel I want to overlay

When I remove the interaction from the “Actions” group and apply the exact same settings to the “Demo Page” board, the overlay opens as expected

Do you have any other triggers on the same board? If it’s not a bug, the other explanation I can think of is that it might be is that another trigger is capturing focus first, so the clicks on this trigger area aren’t firing…

Do you have any other triggers on the same board?

There are no other triggers. There is a flow listed on the board and the only element in the board that has any settings is the “Actions” group. Same settings as the previous screenshot.

This sounds like a bug to me then. Sorry I wasn’t more help!

Hello @dszidi. Thanks for trying Penpot! I hope we can solve your problem.

In general, this feature is working ok. Your problem may be caused by some issue in your file. Could you export it as a .penpot file and send it attached to support@penpot.app? I’ll look at it and say something to you.

1 Like

Email sent. Thanks, I appreciate the assistance!

Ok, i’ve seen the problem. In the board “Demo page” you have added a transparent rectangle “Overlay”, that is covering all the board area, and it’s over the Content. So the rectangle is who is receiving the mouse click, and intercepts it.

If you remove the Overlay, or move it to the bottom, the Edit button will work, and the overlay will open.

1 Like

That fixed it. Nice catch and thank you!

You’re welcome. Nice to have been able to help you.