What are Penpot’s plans for a Plugin System?

I feel excited about your idea of a plugin-system and would love to do some contributions without the need to learn ClojureScript :slight_smile:

1. Out-of-the-box support for TypeScript is a critical feature to me. When working in an unknown environment, TS supports developers to get an overview of methods, objects and data-store APIs. The initial set-up of a TS-library surely requires some time and may not cover all aspects of the application from the very beginning, but it saves you guys on the long-term a lot of documentation work!
  2. The ability of easily re-using existing components and CSS classes would be lovely. Ideally, a new plugin should not ship its own CSS, but implement the given Penpot styleguide to avoid UI duplicates and inconsistencies. I do not want to recommend you to go all-in with React components or styled components to achieve this, but some sort of re-usability pattern for public styles and components would be great.
  3. Lastly, I am always happy about example-plugins and pre-configured plugin skeletons which developers only need to fork/checkout to get started, without dealing too much with bundling processes or coding styles. There could also be some kind of one-click solution connected to Gitpod, so that I do not need a fully setup Penpot environment on my device to develop and test a small plugin.
4 Likes