Thoughts on Penpot’s User Interface

It looks really great!!! Thank you very much for sharing your experience of use and your work around Penpot UI @Theo_Christiaanse :slight_smile:

We are working on improve Penpot accessibility. Is one of our main goals. In addition to improving the contrast of the interface, we will work on HTML tags too. You can track the progress here.

1 Like

These two icons for Artboards and Rectangle are very similar and confusing a bit, breaking the flow.
Just add a hashtag # like Figma has for the artboards. Even adobe has something similar.
Screenshot 2022-09-28 at 00.48.41

Use the status quo in terms of icon language, don’t complicate your life :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Show/hide - layers expanding:
Instead of clicking on arrows of layers to show/hide (on the right side), you should be able to click on the icon on the left side of the component title (e.g. Group or Board). This way you could ditch the arrow icon and make space for something else

1 Like

These are few suggestions from my point of view

1 Like

I completely agree. Not just for Groups or Boards but also for the elements on the right panel like Stroke. Having to click on the plus icon instead of the whole section dedicated Stroke takes more time than desired. I’m glad I’m not alone on this!

3 Likes

Hi, first thanks for developing penpot. Clojure looks pretty interesting. I never used LISP really productively but gave Clojure a try.

My improvement ideas to penpot UI are as follows:

1. Configurable word-spacing CSS prop is missing in the Design->Text section (letter-spacing and line-height are configurable)

2. Like in this feature request mentioned, a box model would be helpful to set distances (padding,margin,border,…)

3. Some titles in the design tab are missing. f.e. you can choose font-family or font-size but when hovering, there is no hint

4. When hovering “justify content space-around” in the design tab after adding a new layout to an element, the title is cropped (maybe overflow: hidden on the sidebar; maybe z-index problem)
    Cropped title

5. It seems for me configuring the outline of an element is missing. This could be considered when working on 2.

2 Likes