Should we translate from English or spanish?

Hey,

While doing some French strings translations, I noticed that sometimes the meaning isn’t exactly the same in the Spanish and English versions, for instance :

Which one should I follow ? I speak both these languages and set them in my spoken Weblate language settings.

Also what about the special strings like the following, can I choose the name in the square brackets ? I couldn’t find an existing value in French in the existing strings (and there’s no glossary):

Sorry if these are basic questions ! :sweat_smile:

I’m not 100% sure but I think you can translate everything just fine. When I did for Brazilian Portuguese I just translated it all as close to the English meaning as possible, when not needed, I left the original there.

Alright then, I wasn’t sure about the terms in brackets because I thought may might refer to some existing translated string (since it’s a link to a special page). I’ll just translate it too then !
Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

Hello @Louis, i would if you spot some difference the best is to base your translation on the English version. Thanks for your contribution !!!

1 Like