Community involvment in Penpot projects - Editing rights and other issues

Hi @julianeisel !

Somehow Discord flagged your post as spam :frowning: Anyway, that’s fixed now.

First, any mention of Blender at Penpot camp will draw MUCH attention since many of us are Blender users (I used Blender before it was open sourced and I put together some money when the Free Blender campaign was launched by Ton Roosendaal). I mention the Blender community here Not all communities are created equal, what lies ahead for Penpot

Second, your input is quite spot on. Actually, yes, we have plans for editing rights granularity. Our other open source product, Taiga (taiga.io) needs this as it’s about agile project management and team members permissions are key, and we want to bring all that to Penpot too. We recently discussed this, actually, and we’re looking forward to having more options around that, possibly including some “see but don’t touch!” mode.

On the advanced topic of fork/merge, this needs more discussion. We need to understand the process here and what actually belongs to Penpot naturally and what should be part of an external version control system (see also next point). I think I understand what you’re trying to achieve here but I would love to listen to it “live” so happy to have a chat with you any time.

Re: Version Control / History we do have session history (see 03· Workspace basics) but we want to go beyond this and implement some sort of shared “snapshot” mode. This would allow Penpot users (I try to avoid saying Penpot designers because devs are welcome too, much like Blender or Godot) to have the ability to keep a shared history with shared snapshots like what google docs has (git versioning might not be the ideal metaphor here).

SVG does have a ton on potential due to its text nature, you’re absolutely right, and Penpot files are little more than SVG and JSONs in a zip file so we’re on to a great start. Actually, I think @myfunnyandy said this week that the internal capability for this is already built, it’s just a matter of coming up with a great UI (and decide on its priority).

I’d like to ask you a favour. Could we have a glimpse on which Blender teams are using Penpot? It’s a dream use case for us but also we would have a gorgeous #madewithpenpot shot. A Blender UI design within Penpot UI. :star_struck:

6 Likes