Slow performance when adding images

Is it only me?
While using Penpot on Chromium and adding image to layout (1000x1000px) the performance drops to the point where working further is impossible (unless I delete image). Is this a bug, or do I need to tweak something?

PC specs

SYS: Win 10 x64
RAM: 12 GB
GPU: GTX 660 (2GB VRAM)
CPU: Intel i5 4670K

Used browsers:

• Firefox
  • Chromium
  • Desktop app

Notes:

• The browsers work in perma-incognito mode. I don’t want to store cookies, browser history .etc. It slows down my pc.
  • I checked in browsers to use hardware acceleration
  • Extensions used in browsers (uBlock Origin, Imagus, h264ify, FireShot, DarkReader

Cheers,
Adrian

Hey, I also experience lagging and memory issues on my side using Firefox and chromium for some complex layouts.
I thought it was only due to my laptop limited 8GB RAM but maybe there’s more to explain it?

I now know when exactly it’s happening.
When image gets imported.
For ex. let’s say there is only one artboard (completly blank) and nothing else. Upon importing image, that got placed outside of artboard while trying to move it it starts to lag and chop BUT when you try to move it again autside of artboard area (when it was firstly placed) it no longer lags, and can be smoothly moved and scaled).

HOWEVER, upon moving image inside artboard it starts to chop again. That is until you let go of your mouse and then try to move it again now WITHIN artboard area. And it works smoothly again. Same process hapens whaen you will try to move it back autside of an artboard…

See the pattern?

Another note. Moving from one artboard to another also same pattern, but after trying to move it again it is significantly slower than normally it would be. Not choppy but still.
ONLY after moving image outside and again inside it fixes the problem.

I hope the devs can see this. It’s important.

1 Like

Hi @Losio that makes a lot of sense, the team will take a look into it.

3 Likes

I am also experiencing a lot of lag when adding a dealing with images, even after using an external tool to reduce the quality of the images. I am using Firefox on Ubuntu. If there is anything else I can provide to help, I would be glad to provide. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m using Chromium instead of Firefox when using Penpot. I heard several times that it was recommended to use that browser (chrome, chromium, same thing) rather than Firefox for better performance.

Someone told me it had to do with the way Firefox was rendering svgs, or something like that, but I don’t remember all the details.

Anyway, you can give it a try and see if that fixes the issues you’re encountering. You can install Chromium from the Ubuntu app repository.

I can confirm this is not a chromium issue. It’s a penpot issue. Penpit is considerably laggy when adding and using images. The more images you use, the more it lags.

It happened up to the point it was an utter frustration trying to use the tool.

I use Brave btw which is chromium based. I even turned off all of Brave’s shenanigans, but still. I abandoned the project and moved back to figma to start it all over again.

It’s something that really needs to be addressed since after almost a year I am experiencing this.

1 Like