Penpot Desktop Project

This is all fixed now and servers are up!

2 Likes

the latest version is not loading on mac… it’s stuck at main page where i can only see the logo

Either it’s a bug, or you don’t have an Instance set in the settings.
I think I should the blank instance issue.

https://design.penpot.app/ i entered this url on instance… now it’s opening… also may i know the update for penpot app on ipad… i was quite excited about it… :slight_smile:

I’m currently putting a lot of focus on the automation that happens during builds and testing in my servers.
This tikes time to setup properly and to secure.

1 Like

I’m finally looking into this issue, by displaying feedback if the instance option is detected as blank.

2 Likes

About the mac client, it is an Universal Package or is just targeting the M1 macs?

Hmm, just checked. Seems Electron Builder is building for ARM64, therefore M chip only.
I’ll need access to an Intel Mac for amd64(Intel) builds.

Let me see if I can tell Electron Builder to build amd64 build before looking into a Intel Mac, I’ll keep you updated.

Good news, a --x64 argument exist in Electron Builder and I can provide a build for both chips available in the Mac. That being for Intel and the M chip.

Latest build available right now was built from an M2. I’ll make an update today to fix things.

Alright, here you go.
If you need an Intel Build, here you go:
https://sudovanilla.com/distribute/applications/penpot-desktop/latest/intel-mac/Penpot.dmg

M1 build is already available:
https://sudovanilla.com/distribute/applications/penpot-desktop/latest/Penpot.dmg

3 Likes

Hello, I just want to know if this is a complete offline application or just a front end wrapped using Electron that still needs to connect to a remote/local server to be able to work ?

1 Like

This needs to be connected to a remote or local server.
You can self-host Penpot onto your own machine using Docker and then connecting Penpot Desktop to localhost:9001 in the Settings area.

Overall a really nice app.
3 problems:
the manual ubuntu install doesn’t work
the snap has no icon on the taskbar in Plasma
using native window controls would be nicer

You want native window controls? That’ll be tedious to toggle, but I can figure that out probably.

As for Ubunut, why not the repo method? Manual and script is meant for Arch.

Snap icon should work, I’ll look into that later.

1 Like

You should absolutely remove the password request for Google auth and switch to browser authentication.

1 Like

I would love to find a way to add a deep link, where you can login via Web Browser like other apps.

Hi @xman. You made a few good points in your post. I think @Korbs is doing a fantastic job here. Kudos! :muscle:I think this project is becoming more and more relevant for Penpot, because I guess there are quite a lot of people who prefer to have a local installation of Penpot to use. As soon as there would be an option to use it offline, without the need for a local self-hosted instance of Penpot, the Penpot Desktop Version would become a burner. I have no clue how this could be done (probably not at all, maybe caching?) but I hope that Korbs can keep it up and that he gets eventually some financial support for his work. Thanks for your efforts, Korbs!

1 Like

The workflow is still slow and not suitable for offline work, the need of a local server with all its web and collaboration layers add too much overloading to the app. The web technology is really not optimal for offline experience.

Hey @Korbs,

there’s a nginx 404 error right now, when accessing both Intel and M1 .dmg links.

Thanks for all your work!

2 Likes

Hello,

I want to install Penpot on my Mac Air but the link isnt working :confused:
Im really excited to use it everywhere hehehe