Miscellaneous suggestions

Hey folks! Like many new members, I’m left disillusioned by the recent news that Adobe is trying to cannibalize the market yet again by buying out Figma. Penpot has a lot of potential as an alternative, plus it’s always good to support FOSS projects! :blush: However, it’s lacking a few features that I really got accustomed to in my workflow and that I genuinely can’t give up on. I should probably mention that while I do use Figma for its intended purpose of UI/UX design and prototyping, I’ve found it to be a great tool for vector illustration and icon design - one that’s lightweight and that I find very pleasant to use.

Most of my suggestions will align with that particular usage I’d make of Penpot, so I don’t really have any particular expectations, I’m sure there are many more pressing additions to make that would actually benefit UI/UX designers more, and that’s totally OK! But still, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to share them! :slight_smile:

With that said, here are some features I’d really like to see make their way to the app:

• Applying rounded corners to any shape, including boolean groups and individual nodes. I use that a lot to create smooth, complex shapes with minimal hassle!
  • Creating arcs out of circles.
  • Mask shapes taking effects (blur, shadows) into account. Again, only really useful for illustration, as it lets me do complex shading…
  • And while we’re at it, maybe adding a handy little shortcut icon for masking right next to the boolean/flatten ones?
  • When editing a node, having the ability for both handles to always have the same length for more uniform shape tweaking.
  • Being able to click & drag on a value box to change said value.
  • Allowing an image box to have different fit modes, like cover, contain, or tiling to allow the use of patterns.

That’s all I can really think of currently, if I have any more suggestions I’ll add them in further posts. Oh, and if one of my suggestions turns out to already be a thing that I was too dumb to notice, please let me know as well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your time, keep up the good work and good luck! <3

6 Likes

I better hope they add these features to PenPot as soon as they can before Figma inevitably becomes a bug infested mess, horribly overpriced, or both
Am looking forward to the release of Auto layout in PenPot within a month

@Voxy: Thanks for your suggestions – a very thoughtful post with good ideas! I do not use Penpot for illustrations, but

and

would be also useful for non-illustration users like me!

Hi @Voxy i will try to address some of this suggestion. About paths in general, we have a list of improvements. We are planning to have some time focused on implementing most of them. You can take a look at them by filtering the backlog using the word “path”: Taiga. For example:

1. Rounded corners
  2. Add tools for arcs

Draggable inputs are also something that the team have talked before, and it has recently been added to our backlog.

2 Likes