Can I transfer a Figma project to Penpot?

I want to continue prototyping a project that I’ve made with Figma here with Penpot. But when I try to import a project file the only option available is the .penpot files.

Is it possible to import .fig files?

As I know Figma can import Sketch files and vice versa.

9 Likes

Penpot doesn’t have an importer for Figma files yet. It is in our plans though, along with the Sketch importer, but we still need to develop some key capabilities like autolayout to go for them properly.

In the meantime the best option is to export your Figma files or objects to SVG and then import them to Penpot.

10 Likes

Autolayout is gonna be awesome! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Mikrodz you can already see an sneak peek here :wink:

1 Like

Thank you! It looks great. I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

After autolayout, will the focus shift to importing Figma files? (asking since I see no dev assigned to the task #1469)

Am loooonging to migrate from figma, but with the current figma > svg > penpot situation, it’s quite unworkable actually.:heart:

2 Likes

Still pending our prioritization, but due to recent events there is a high chance that this task will have a dev asigned shortly.

3 Likes

Would be happy to assist the dev if needed.

2 Likes

ON the Penpot team, we have started to evaluate this increase in the interest on building Figma importers. We had a meeting like yesterday and we still need to talk a bit more to define our course of action to better help make this happen.

It is really something to see all this interest an will to contribute. We hope to share news very soon, please stay tuned :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I found some kind of open-source API called https://opendesign.dev/ which gets data from Figma, Sketch, XD, Illustrator, Photoshop. I would love to see Penpot being able to convert those files as well.

1 Like

Hi all, we’ve published a post with news about this topic, feel free to join the conversation here: Figma file importer

2 Likes
2 Likes

Hi all! Are there plans to develop this plugin?

It has been a while since this has been touched on, but I did find a workaround for Sketch files. Unfortunately Sketch basically blocks you out of you old files if you do not keep paying the subscription, you don’t even get to view them. This is basically software blackmail, and further proves why open source is so important. To get around this for now is to use the Figma Sketch Import functionality, then use the Penpot Figma Exporter Plugin in Figma, this will give you your Penpot file to import.

1 Like

We have plans to resume this work once Penpot 2.0 is out since the request for a Figma to Penpot migration process is only going to get more intense!

4 Likes

Hello,

Heard about penpot 2.0. Its awesome! can I import my figma files into penpot?

We have a basic plugging to export from Figma, but we will improve it soon.